Download PDF Brochure
Course directors: Paul Kranzler y Ricardo Cases
Course coordinator: Marta Orozco
Start date: October 2014
End of course: July 2015
Schedule: 7 to 10.30 pm. Monday to Thursday. Selected production workshops and Master Classes may include varying schedules.
This Master program consists of three modules, which concentrate on Documentary and Reportage; Fashion and Lifestyle; Advertising and Editorial. Master Students have to present a final project complemented with a written dossier.
Aimed at students with degrees in Photography, Fine Arts, Media, Advertising or Communication. Young image-makers who want to specialise in the practice of professional photography; Photographers working in the industry who want to develop their own style, in their professional and personal work.
– Curriculum vitae
– Letter of interest
– Technical knowledge in photography is mandatory (One Year Photography at IED Madrid or comparable); basic experience with post-production skills and a familiarity with audiovisual formats is also required.
– Project Portfolio – Personal interview as deemed necessary by the Academic Coordination Team.
– It is necessary for students to have their own camera to participate in the course.
Language: The lessons will be taught in English (in the event of holding any activity in Spanish, simultaneous translation into English will be available).
Certification: At the end of the course, an accredited certificate will be awarded for having completed it satisfactorily.
Attendance: Class attendance is mandatory and will be necessary to obtain an accredited certificate.
Price: 2.300 € registration + 7.900 € course fee.
Accommodation in Madrid (optional): email@example.com
Admissions: +34 91 448 04 44 firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information: iedphotography.com
Introduction by the Course Directors
“We believe that photography is something you can easily teach yourself, you do not really need a school for that. In fact, our students usually know their trade quite well. What you do need are people who support you and give you input, advice, and courage – in fact, this is maybe the single most important thing. Learning by doing, but hand in hand with a strong team of professionals and tutors, this is the concept of Professional Photography course at the IED Madrid.
Our invited lecturers have quite different working and teaching styles, according to their experiences and the fields they come from. The workshops will be held by professionals in the fields of documentary, fashion, portrait, product photography and advertising, but always with focus on creative techniques rather than pure camera work and technical knowledge.
This Master Program will provide the students with working tools that they can then implement in many environments. Furthermore, they can decide for themselves how much they want to dig into each field, and find their own way of working with (and around) photography.
What we want to teach to our students is a methodology, not technical details. The invited specialists in photography, publishing, postproduction, lightning communication theory will teach from their own point of view, and emphasize things that they find most important. This broadness and also its international spirit make the course something really special.”
Ricardo Cases and Paul Kranzler
The main objectives of this Master program are:
• to offer students a view of current tendencies in applied and commercial photography.
• to implement the tools and knowledge used in the photography industry.
• to familiarise students with contemporary working methods in the field of production, studio management, post-production, publishing and stock.
• to show the cultural value of photography, forms of collaboration and creative funding models,
• to analyse the challenges and limitations of the market in times of strong media convergence and downsizing,
• to get to know about the history of photography in the context of design.
This course offers students the chance to access the field of professional photography, which has a high demand in many fields:
• Press and media photographer
• Fashion photographer
• Industrial advertising photographer
• Editorial photographer
• Post-production artist
• Art Buyer / Art director
• Studio Manager
The Master programme for professional photography is characterized by its hands-on approach, fostering applied research, reflection and discussion on practical issues, in the context of a highly competitive industry. The classes include discussions on case studies; practical contemporary working methods in the field of production, studio management, and post-production; visits to artists’ studios and exhibitions; Master classes with outstanding professionals; assignments with professional briefing/debriefing; individual and group exercises.