OPEN CALL FOR ARTIST IN RESIDENCE
The Valletta Cultural Agency sustains and strengthens the capital city’s vibrant cultural life through the creation of an annual programme of creative events developed in collaboration with artists and other Public Cultural Organisations. A legacy of the Valletta 2018 Foundation, the VCA upholds standards of excellence in the coordination and organization of artistic and cultural events in the city. The Agency also aims to collaborate with the next generation of artists, creatives and cultural practitioners whilst working towards developing greater participation by communities and developing new audiences.
Established in March 2019, the VCA is building its cultural programme on 5 core values, which are:
|–ABILITY||Explore and contribute towards liveability, accessibility and sustainability within Valletta for residents, workers and visitors alike through art and culture, with a focus on the protection, rediscovery and enhancement of common spaces by encouraging users to requalify and reimagine their use.|
|TRANS/FORM||Rethink contemporary and collective identities through transformative experiences and collaborations, turning individuals and communities from audiences into active participants.|
|DIalogue||Chart needs and wants through dialogue and debate that would, in turn, offer a map into potential futures and a better understanding of current realities from the eyes of a varied public.|
|INNOVATE||Develop and implement innovative artistic and creative initiatives that experiment with new practices, technologies, space-time correlations, with a solid grounding in research and documentation.|
|INHERIT||Value and support local traditions as an important part of the contemporary social fabric and as a platform and inspiration for artistic and creative initiatives.|
The Valletta Cultural Agency is seeking artistic proposals from local and international artist/s to participate in a residency programme, working with local communities and/or local artists and organisations, centred around one or more values of the Agency. At the end of the residency, the artist/s will present the work through a public sharing as part of the VCA’s 2019 Cultural Programme.
Deadline for submissions: 31 July 2019
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME innovAiR 2019
The innovAiR Programme was created to contribute to and enrich the national creative context, with Valletta as both motivator and beneficiary. Within the boundaries of the city, the residency will foster collaboration and networking between the artist/s and the communities of artists, residents, workers and more; whilst encouraging sharing and the re-invention of different spaces and environments.
DURATION OF THE RESIDENCY
There will be two residency periods:
- 1stto 15thNovember 2019.
- 22ndNovember to 6thDecember 2019.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Networking: support to integrate into the local context and assistance in establishing artistic and professional connections that best support your work and career. This may also include in assistance with weaving together various disciplines, backgrounds and interests to serve as sources of inspiration.
- Accommodation: a self-catering fully furnished private room within a communal apartment with well-equipped shared kitchen and bathroom, bed sheets, towels and WIFI connection. Accommodation for an additional member of the family may be requested, but may come at a cost for the artist.
- Studio Space: a working space that is suitable for the nature of the project may be provided upon request.
- Travel: economy flights to and from the country of residence and airport transfers from the airport to the accommodation in Malta. Flights for any accompanying family members will not be covered by the Agency.
- Production support: The Agency may be able to provide material for the project, depending on the material requested and up to a maximum cost of €400, provided that a detailed list is included in the proposal. This may consist of consumable material or equipment that can be rented/provided by the Agency. Logistical support for the final presentation will be provided, if required.
WHAT WE DO NOT PROVIDE
- Insurance: travel, personal, health and personal equipment insurance is the artist/s’ responsibility.
- Visa Arrangements: non-EU Artists will have to secure any Visas and documents required for travelling to, and staying in, Malta for the duration of the residency.
- Fees: artist fees or allowances.
- Cleaning services: cleaning arrangements are not provided since the accommodation is self-catering.
A cultural, administrative and commercial hub, Valletta is the capital city of Malta and is itself an entire UNESCO World Heritage Site. Our city is an open-air museum – adorned with Baroque, British and modern architecture – that houses around 5,000 residents, many businesses and institutions. Traditions are deeply rooted in its heart, against the backdrop of everchanging contemporary communities, cultures and identities.
A peninsula between two harbours, the city is well connected by water taxis and ferries, and is also a public transport hub. Valletta is also home to the National Library, Parliament, various exhibition sites and performance venues. Packed with a vibrant cultural calendar, the city hosts several prominent festivals and events.
HOW TO APPLY
We’re interested in artists in the following disciplines…
- Animation, illustration and design
- Art theory, curatorial practice
- Literature and literary translation
- Music (including composition)
- New media
*Since the residency will be located in a residential area, the proposals submitted need to be sensitive towards the neighbouring communities in terms of sound.
Who can apply?
- Artists that have reached 18 years of age at the time of the application;
- Individual artists or groups of up to two artists working together;
- Have an artistic concept/idea to develop within the Maltese context with local communities and/or artists and/or other entities;
- Be able to communicate adequately in English.
What your proposal should include…
Applicants should send the following material as a pdf via email on email@example.com, with “innovAiR” as the subject of the email.
- A project description which clearly states the discipline and elaborates the residency goals and the work to be created during the residency, including:
- timeline of actions
- list of materials, if required
- Format and description of the final public sharing (e.g. presentation, lecture, performance, screening, exhibition, etc.)
- any other document supporting the artistic proposal
- Copy of Artist’s ID Card or passport;
- Artist professional CV and a short Bio;
- A portfolio of related works (Visual artists: images or video links; Performing artists: a synopsis of previous works, video links and reviews; Literature: a list of publications and professional acknowledgements);
- State which residency period is preferred;
- State if and what kind of entry requirements will be necessary in order to be able to travel to Malta and stay in the country during the residency;
- State whether a family member will be joining;
- State if the residency project is getting any third-parties funds, if yes, please indicate the name(s) of the funding partner(s) within your proposal.
For any queries, please send us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org 27th June 2019.
SELECTION AND T&Cs
We are looking for proposals that respond to the one or more of the values of the Agency’s Cultural Programme. Priority will be given to applications which are:
- Engaging and collaborative, to involve local communities, cultures and artists
- Interactive and participatory, to turn audiences into participating publics
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Candidates must submit all the requested materials in the Application Section of this Call to be considered eligible.
- As this is a competitive process, the proposals received will be evaluated by a specifically-appointed panel according to the timeframes indicated below.
- In case of third-party funding for the residency, candidates should indicate the name(s) of the funding partner(s).
- Call opens on 27thMay 2019.
- Call closes on 30thJune 2019.
- Call will be evaluated in the second week of July 2019.
- The selected applicant/s will be notified by no later than 14thJuly 2019.
- Residency dates:
1st to 15th November 2019 and 22nd November to 6th December 2019.